Day 738: Reflections
🖤 Get well soon Tommy ! #teamrivs #RageOn 🖤
Today is day 738 of Nutrisystem. I chose this quote because I often spend time at the end of the day thinking about what went right but I don't often think about how I could do better at anything that didn't meet my standards. I think if I put a little effort into this it would go a long way toward helping me with my consistency goal. Day in and day out I beat myself up for the things I did "wrong" but asking myself "what could I do differently?" removes a lot of the negativity and makes it more of a learning experience. For me, learning is always going to be a positive thing. I've learning a lot over the past 2 years but it's clear that the learning is going to be continuous. I will never be truly "done". I might reach my goal weight and transition into a maintenance mode but I will never be done working on myself. Keeping the weight off, staying fit and staying out of debt will continue to be a daily effort. I guess life would be boring if you didn't have something to work on every day !
Breakfast was a 2.1 ounce 160 calorie cherry cheese roll and a 5.3 ounce 80 calorie Light & Fit creme brulee yogurt. Morning snack was a 120 calorie vanilla shake with peanut butter powder. Lunch was a 3.8 ounce 220 calorie pepperoni pizza melt with the last of my roasted veggies. Afternoon snack was 2 Alyssa's oatmeal cookies (90 calories) and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese (80 calories). Dinner was a 9 ounce 250 calorie chicken enchilada with roasted veggies. I also mixed in some leftover riced cauliflower. Evening snack was a 2.2 ounce 140 calorie lemon zest cake. Total calories for the day are 1140 and I got 80 ounces of water in.
With the live workouts out of the way I scheduled a couple of new iFit series for the week ahead. I started the day with a 23 minute walk in Istanbul, Turkey with iFit guide Mick Davie. He's a documentary filmmaker who happens to live there. It was pretty interesting to see the Grand Bazaar and was a nice change from the studio setting. I went with my own speed & incline settings for this one. Second workout of the day was a 23 minute walk in Turks & Caicos with iFit trainer Stacie Clark. I opted to go with the iFit settings on this workout because it had eight 30 second speed intervals. iFit has something new called SmartAdjust that automatically increases the pace based on your prior workouts. So the "warmup" for me was 3.2 mph and then the walking pace was 3.6 mph. During the 30 second intervals it bumped the speed up to 4 mph so I jogged. Comparing the 2 workouts I saw no benefit with allowing iFit to control my pace. I could have burned more calories in that 23 minutes with my own settings. That may not be the case with all workouts but my goal is always going to be maximizing the calorie burn when I'm on the treadmill. Do you burn more calories "walking" at 4 mph as opposed to jogging ? I have no way to know and jogging really isn't my thing. Hey, I gave it a try ! So I logged almost 47 minutes, 2.6 miles and 292 calories. I also put in the usual 45 minutes on the Total Gym.
I managed to boot myself out of bed at 9:30 this morning and shortly after 10:30 I was on my way to Wegman's. They were not super busy yet so it was a good time to go. Leaving there I could see a long line at the oil change place so I didn't get that done today. I stopped at Walmart to pick up a few things and was back home just after 12:30. In between my treadmill workouts I got a big pan of veggies ready for the oven. I had an onion hanging around the kitchen so I chopped that up and added it to the mix for something different. There is nothing like freshly roasted veggies !
In the spirit of today's quote I was thinking about what has worked well over the past 2 years and what I'm struggling with now. Evening snacking crops up a lot more these days and it's something I really need to address. I know from the health & fitness groups I belong to that I am NOT alone in this ! A lot of people struggle with it. I used to snack on carrots in the afternoon and I stopped doing that quite some time ago. Since I bought all fresh produce today it was a good day to get back into that habit. If I feel full I won't be thinking about what might be lurking in the fridge or on the counter. Today was relatively easy to avoid the snack trap since my eating schedule was later in the day and I ate so many veggies that I will be going to bed comfortably full ! In my case I think the snacking starts because I'm not eating enough during the day. I used to eat a lot more salad than I do right now. All summer I'd eat a gigantic bowl of salad every day and now it takes me 2-3 days to consume the same amount. I think the problem is during the winter months I want warm things and although I eat salad all week I don't eat as much as I could. So I'm going to try eating more of the roasted veggies if I can't push the salad. I usually only roast them once a week but I have plenty and can do it twice a week if I have to. I also think the protein bars I was having as my afternoon snack are too much sugar and not enough substance to keep me full. The bars are 180 or 190 calories but I can have 2 hearty oatmeal cookies and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and that is only 170 calories and is more substantial. I have a ton of the protein bars so I'll be eating them here and there but not buying any more. I've always had a problem with carbs .. the more carbs I'd eat the hungrier I'd get so the more I'd eat. It was a vicious cycle ! I already changed up my weekday routine to have my roasted veggies before my 5 pm workout but I think I'm also going to try doing the Total Gym right after the treadmill instead of after dinner. When you think about it I'm already warmed up so it makes sense to go from one to the other. Having dinner a little later may help with the evening snack monster. I also need to buckle down on my willpower, since it's all about that. I can make all the changes I want in my routine but in the end it all comes down to willpower. I have to remind myself that you don't need to eat just because you "think" you are hungry. I let myself go a little too far over the holidays so this is all about reigning myself back in and getting to the finish line.
Weather today was cold and clear but snow is in the forecast almost every day for the week ahead. Nothing major .. yet ! My fridge and pantry are stocked so let it snow ! On that note I'm heading to the couch to give Abby some snuggle time and then it'll be time for a shower and bed before the snack monster wakes up !


Comments
Post a Comment