Day 628: Be Good To Yourself
It's day 628 of Nutrisystem. I'm trying to stay focused on positive things these days and this quote fit the bill. I spent too many years hating myself and being jealous of others instead of looking for ways to improve my own life. Nutrisystem helped me climb out of that abyss of negativity because it turned my focus inward. When I began to examine how my weight got so out of control I had no choice but to admit it was my own fault. I had to discard all the excuses I'd relied on to justify what I ate. I had to forgive myself for using food as comfort and take steps to change that habit. Once I dealt with the past and decided I deserved better there was no stopping me ! Nutrisystem isn't for everyone but it has been a lifesaver for me. No matter what change you want to make in your life you have to find what works for you and it has to be the right time. If you're not ready to address your weight or your fitness or your finances or whatever your challenge in life is, no program will work. You really do have to put your heart and soul into it and be 100% committed. I've had my ups and downs and some days I don't work as hard as I should but I've never given up. I can't say I've never sat down and said "I can't do this". I have. Exercise has been the biggest challenge for me and there were days I gave up on myself. But I always came back and tried again. There were times I tried workouts that were too advanced for my level of fitness so I had to pay closer attention to where I was in that journey and plan my workouts accordingly. I had to balance doing what was within my ability while still challenging myself to work harder. Being good to myself used to be all about eating delicious but unhealthy things in unlimited quantities. Now it's all about eating the right things in the appropriate quantity and treating myself occasionally.
Not much news on Tommy Rivs today other than the fact that he is off ECMO and round 4 of chemo starts tomorrow. Talk about taking the bad with the good ! There's been no mention of the CT scan so I don't know if that happened or if results are known. We all hope and pray the news is good. Regardless of the results his family will share them when they are ready. I put a culture walk with Tommy on my iFit schedule for tomorrow since he'll be having a tough day. It'll be bittersweet to see the athlete he was on that screen. The prognosis remains unknown and with the lung damage he's suffered it's hard to know if he can ever go back to being the endurance athlete he was. I have no doubt he will try, because there is no quit in him. Rage on Tommy !
Breakfast was a 2 ounce 180 calorie cinnamon roll and a 5.3 ounce 80 calorie Light & Fit lemon meringue yogurt. Morning snack was a 120 calorie vanilla shake with peanut butter powder. Lunch was a 3.8 ounce 220 calorie pepperoni pizza melt and a chef salad. Afternoon snack was a repeat of yesterday: 1 ounce of maple bacon cheddar cheese (110 calories) and a honeycrisp apple. I logged this as 200 calories total. Dinner was an 8.2 ounce 240 calorie chicken fajita bowl with roasted veggies. Evening snack was a 2.1 ounce 130 calorie strawberry shortcake cupcake. Total calories for the day are 1170 and I got 80 ounces of water in.
Today was yet another day that I struggled to get out of bed. I just didn't want to get up and I didn't feel like exercising but I did it anyways. Time was short so I threw on my exercise gear and hopped on the treadmill. I felt kind of bad for making my cats wait for their breakfast but I went without mine too ! First workout was a 26 minute walk in Cambridge MA with iFit guide Josh Luckens. I overrode the 2.5 mph pace after a short warmup and started at 3 mph for the first 5 minutes, increasing the pace .1 mph every 5 minutes. I almost didn't get a workout at lunch because they came to seal my driveway and I wasn't sure how long they'd be here. Instead of using that as an excuse I opted to do my Total Gym workout ! It worked out perfectly because I finished the upper body workout just as they were finishing the driveway ! Once they were gone I completed the lower body workout and then grabbed my lunch. After work I started a new HIIT walking series with iFit trainer Gideon Akande. The first workout was 35 minutes of 30 second intervals at speeds of 2.7 or 3 mph with 1 minute recoveries at 2.5 mph. Incline started at zero for the first set, then increased to 3%, then 6% so it was a good workout. After dinner I completed the 2nd in the series which was set up the same way but the 32 minutes of intervals were 30-45 seconds with 1 minute recoveries. I wanted to work harder on this one so I overrode the speed much of the time to 3 to 3.4 mph. I let the machine handle the incline since I can manage 6% even at 3.4 mph. I logged 93 minutes, 4.3 miles and 464 calories. Fitbit says I did close to 16,000 steps so it was a good day !
It warmed up nicely today so I was able to work out on the front porch by about 11 am. It's supposed to be warmer the rest of the week so I'm looking forward to that. I brought my patio chairs in from outside and put 2 of them on the porch. I think my table and all 4 chairs will fit out there so I may bring the rest of the set in. At least then it would get used !
Today is the official first day of Fall and it's coming fast ! Chilly nights, chilly mornings, leaves are changing colors, it's getting dark sooner. Pretty soon I'll be paying my lawn guy for plowing instead of mowing ! It's sweater season too and I have none .. not a one .. so a little retail therapy is in my future.
On that note it's time for a shower and bed !

Comments
Post a Comment