Day 401: Life Is Short
"Think big and don't listen to people
who tell you it can't be done. Life's too
short to think small." ~Tim Ferriss~
Today I hit another milestone and I thought back to that medical professional who told me losing weight would be hard "at my age". I'm sure she was trying to be helpful but I don't think she realized how demoralizing her words were. Those words echoed in my head for years and every time I thought about trying to lose weight it was my excuse for not even trying. Why bother ? I'm too old and it won't work. That was me justifying not even trying. When I started Nutrisystem the goal was to lose 154 pounds, which would bring my weight into the range of a "normal" BMI. This meant shedding nearly half of my body weight and I think we can all agree it was a pretty ambitious goal. It was not easy to make the commitment but I had reached a point where I absolutely had to do something. Of course I was scared of failure. Those words were still with me, as were years of failure, but instead of using them as an excuse not to try, I used them as motivation to prove her wrong. Although I'm not yet at my goal weight I'm pretty comfortable saying she was WRONG. I think losing weight at ANY age is hard but if you are willing to work hard at it you can succeed. Turning those hurtful words into a competition made a world of difference for me.
Breakfast was a 2.1 ounce 180 calorie cinnamon roll with (what else!) cinnamon roll coffee. Power fuel was a 5.3 ounce 80 calorie Light & Fit creme brulee yogurt. Morning snack was a 155 calorie chocolate shake with peanut butter powder. Lunch was a 4 ounce 220 calorie spinach & cheese pretzel melt with raw carrots. Afternoon snack was a 1.58 ounce 180 calorie almond, blueberry & oat bar. Dinner was a new item, an 8.2 ounce 240 calorie chicken fajita bowl that I served with lots of hot salsa and riced cauliflower. I also added a sprinkle of garlic jalapeno seasoning, which was overkill because my lips were burning ! It was delicious and I ate every speck of it. Salsa is not really limited on Nutrisystem but you have to watch the sodium so I don't use it often. If I have a lot of salt I usually try to get some extra water in to flush it out. Evening snack was a 1.6 ounce 130 calorie red velvet cupcake. Total calories for the day are 1195 and I got 64 ounces of water in.
So milestones ... today was my weigh in and the scale read 178.8 pounds, for a loss of 1.2 pounds this week. The milestone ? I've now lost 125.2 pounds ! That means I have 28.8 pounds to go until I reach my goal ! I'm pretty excited to be in the 170's ! Nutrisystem will be sending me another stuffed bear to mark the occasion. Only 2 more to go: the 150 pounds lost and the final one will be the "goal" bear when I actually reach my goal.
I slept in this morning for the first time in a while. I was awake around 7:30 am but ended up going back to sleep until after 10. I guess I was tired ! After a nice hot shower I enjoyed my breakfast and watched the end of "Now, Voyager" on TCM. I just loved Paul Henreid and Bette Davis in this film ! Since my internet went out around 12:45 this afternoon I decided to head outside and clean up the driveway. My plow guy was here bright and early and actually did an amazing job clearing the driveway, but I spent about an hour out there widening it. He's careful not to drive off the edges of the pavement so I shovel both sides to the edges. I also cleaned up the bottom and the sidewalk in front of my house. I did a lot more than was really necessary but it was nice to stand there when I was done and admire a nice clean driveway. Many winters my driveway would get narrower and narrower as the snow piled up and I never had the energy to go out there and clean it up or widen the edges. I have endless energy now and I have to tell you, it felt amazing to be out there ! Never in my life did I expect to not only be able to exert myself for well over an hour with something like shoveling snow, but to also enjoy it ! It felt really, really good but I was about out of energy when I came in. I had only eaten a cinnamon roll at that point so I had my breakfast power fuel (yogurt) and my shake and felt a whole lot better after that. Internet was still out so I spent the time vacuuming and cleaning up the house. It came back around 4:30 so I was able to finally get a treadmill workout in. I completed #3 of 14 in the Easter Island series with Dr. Dale Simpson, who I just love. He knows the history of the area and you can tell how much he loves the place. This 36.5 minute workout was at a steady pace of 2.5 mph and had very little incline, so it was a nice walk. I can't say it was easy because I'd already gotten a good workout outside, so I was working hard. After dinner I got back on the treadmill for another session with Jake Norton on Mount Kilimanjaro. This was a 27 minute interval workout with intervals that went up to 3.6 mph with recoveries at 2.6 mph. Although I could walk at 3.6 I opted to jog because the trainer was jogging. They were only 1 minute intervals and although I don't really plan to ever be a jogger I'm trying to continue challenging myself to do things I've always thought I could not do. I hopped on the Total Gym afterwards and spent another 30 minutes doing various exercises. So today I logged 2.7 miles, almost 64 minutes and burned 317 calories on the treadmill. Add to that the calories burned shoveling snow and the calories burned on the Total Gym ! I probably burned off half of what I took in !
All in all today was a great day ! Got a good bit of exercise, got some house cleaning done and still spent plenty of time watching tv ! Heading for bed now !
Breakfast was a 2.1 ounce 180 calorie cinnamon roll with (what else!) cinnamon roll coffee. Power fuel was a 5.3 ounce 80 calorie Light & Fit creme brulee yogurt. Morning snack was a 155 calorie chocolate shake with peanut butter powder. Lunch was a 4 ounce 220 calorie spinach & cheese pretzel melt with raw carrots. Afternoon snack was a 1.58 ounce 180 calorie almond, blueberry & oat bar. Dinner was a new item, an 8.2 ounce 240 calorie chicken fajita bowl that I served with lots of hot salsa and riced cauliflower. I also added a sprinkle of garlic jalapeno seasoning, which was overkill because my lips were burning ! It was delicious and I ate every speck of it. Salsa is not really limited on Nutrisystem but you have to watch the sodium so I don't use it often. If I have a lot of salt I usually try to get some extra water in to flush it out. Evening snack was a 1.6 ounce 130 calorie red velvet cupcake. Total calories for the day are 1195 and I got 64 ounces of water in.
So milestones ... today was my weigh in and the scale read 178.8 pounds, for a loss of 1.2 pounds this week. The milestone ? I've now lost 125.2 pounds ! That means I have 28.8 pounds to go until I reach my goal ! I'm pretty excited to be in the 170's ! Nutrisystem will be sending me another stuffed bear to mark the occasion. Only 2 more to go: the 150 pounds lost and the final one will be the "goal" bear when I actually reach my goal.
I slept in this morning for the first time in a while. I was awake around 7:30 am but ended up going back to sleep until after 10. I guess I was tired ! After a nice hot shower I enjoyed my breakfast and watched the end of "Now, Voyager" on TCM. I just loved Paul Henreid and Bette Davis in this film ! Since my internet went out around 12:45 this afternoon I decided to head outside and clean up the driveway. My plow guy was here bright and early and actually did an amazing job clearing the driveway, but I spent about an hour out there widening it. He's careful not to drive off the edges of the pavement so I shovel both sides to the edges. I also cleaned up the bottom and the sidewalk in front of my house. I did a lot more than was really necessary but it was nice to stand there when I was done and admire a nice clean driveway. Many winters my driveway would get narrower and narrower as the snow piled up and I never had the energy to go out there and clean it up or widen the edges. I have endless energy now and I have to tell you, it felt amazing to be out there ! Never in my life did I expect to not only be able to exert myself for well over an hour with something like shoveling snow, but to also enjoy it ! It felt really, really good but I was about out of energy when I came in. I had only eaten a cinnamon roll at that point so I had my breakfast power fuel (yogurt) and my shake and felt a whole lot better after that. Internet was still out so I spent the time vacuuming and cleaning up the house. It came back around 4:30 so I was able to finally get a treadmill workout in. I completed #3 of 14 in the Easter Island series with Dr. Dale Simpson, who I just love. He knows the history of the area and you can tell how much he loves the place. This 36.5 minute workout was at a steady pace of 2.5 mph and had very little incline, so it was a nice walk. I can't say it was easy because I'd already gotten a good workout outside, so I was working hard. After dinner I got back on the treadmill for another session with Jake Norton on Mount Kilimanjaro. This was a 27 minute interval workout with intervals that went up to 3.6 mph with recoveries at 2.6 mph. Although I could walk at 3.6 I opted to jog because the trainer was jogging. They were only 1 minute intervals and although I don't really plan to ever be a jogger I'm trying to continue challenging myself to do things I've always thought I could not do. I hopped on the Total Gym afterwards and spent another 30 minutes doing various exercises. So today I logged 2.7 miles, almost 64 minutes and burned 317 calories on the treadmill. Add to that the calories burned shoveling snow and the calories burned on the Total Gym ! I probably burned off half of what I took in !
All in all today was a great day ! Got a good bit of exercise, got some house cleaning done and still spent plenty of time watching tv ! Heading for bed now !

Comments
Post a Comment