Day 399: Be The Best You Can Be




"Decide that 'good enough' is not good

 enough for you. Always aim to be the 

best you can be."  




I've said a couple of times that I could be happy at the weight I am now. Turns out that is not quite true. I'm happy with the progress I've made but it's not good enough. I set a goal and I will not be truly happy until I reach it, smash through it and exceed it ! Good enough is no longer enough. I fully intend to be the best I can be and that means doing what I said I was going to do. I've settled for "good enough" for most of my life, whether I realized it or not. I may have felt like I deserved more or better than I got, but I never really did anything about it. I guess I expected good fortune to just fall in my lap and although that happens to some people, it never happened to me. So I just accepted it. The fire started the changes in my life but I can't say it inspired me to lose weight. Maybe it just removed some of the excuses I used to justify the way I was eating. Those Christmas 2018 photo's were the major catalyst. I had reached a point in my life where somehow, someway, I was able to commit to a monumental goal of losing 154 pounds. Up until December 29, 2018 it would have completely overwhelmed me to even think about trying to achieve that. I would immediately have said I can't do it. I wouldn't have even tried. I knew life was going to change. I felt in my heart that my job situation was going to change and the thought of looking for a new job at 304 pounds was frightening. Who would hire me ? That may have contributed to my resolve but the fact of the matter is I hated the way I looked and I hated the way I felt. I truly was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I didn't want to develop diabetes. I didn't want to live with the constant pain of overburdened joints. I didn't want to develop high blood pressure or any of the cardiac risks that come with the burden my weight and sedentary lifestyle was putting on my heart. I had already wasted so many years of my life and I wanted to be able to enjoy the time I have left. So for once in my life I'm going to be the best I can be. 

Breakfast was a 2.1 ounce 180 calorie cinnamon roll. Power fuel was a 5.3 ounce 80 calorie Light & Fit creme brulee yogurt. Morning snack was a 155 calorie chocolate shake with peanut butter powder. Lunch was a 3.8 ounce 220 calorie pepperoni pizza melt with a chef salad. Dressing added 30 calories. Afternoon snack was a 1.58 ounce 180 calorie almond, blueberry & oat bar. These bars don't quite meet Nutrisystem guidelines for protein content but I have 3 boxes of them and want to use them up. They have enough fiber and the calories are fine so they're not terrible. I think I have about 12 of them left to eat. Dinner was a 5 ounce 210 calorie broccoli & cheese stuffed chicken breast that I served with a bag of steamed broccoli. Evening snack was a 2.1 ounce 130 calorie cream filled chocolate cupcake with a cup of french vanilla coffee. Total calories for the day are 1185 and I got 64 ounces of water in.

Today would normally have been an office day but my boss was kind enough to allow me to work from home since I had to be on a 4 hour training call. I was happy about that as we had a few inches of snow overnight. Since I was home I got a workout in during lunch. I started a new iFit series of walks on Easter Island. I loved the energy of the guide,  Dr. Dale Simpson, and it was clear he knew his stuff when it comes to the history of the location. The 24 minute walk flew by at about 2.5 mph and there was some mild incline. After a late night it was a good way to get back on track with exercise. After work I decided to go outside and clean up my driveway and front steps. I noticed we were getting some rain and I didn't want the snow left in either place to turn to ice. It was so satisfying to stand there admiring the bare driveway after about 35 minutes of work. It was a good workout and I almost used that as an excuse to let myself off the hook for an evening workout on the treadmill. In truth I was a little intimidated by what I had on my schedule because as I mentioned I had a late night, I worked out during lunch and I had just spent 35 minutes shoveling heavy wet snow. I'd scheduled a 42 minute workout and I wasn't sure I could do it. After a few minutes of inner dialogue I decided to give it a try. It was a hike on Mount Kilimanjaro with Jake Norton, #6 of 23 in the series. The first 10 minutes was at max incline but since this was the "warm up" the speed never exceeded 2.4 mph. Once the max incline was out of the way the speed increased to about 2.8 mph. He threw in a push at 3.4 mph for 30 seconds and another for a few minutes at 3 mph. Towards the end was the push I feared ... 3.9 mph for a minute - which meant jogging. It was more like 90 seconds but I got through it. Then he said we were going to do a 2 minute push and I knew this was going to be at 4 mph ! I didn't think I could jog for 2 minutes and fortunately for me I didn't have to as he reached the end of the trail sooner than expected and the push was only about a minute. Still, the fact that I was able to do the jogging made me proud of myself. After my workout I had dinner and then I got on the Total Gym. I thought about skipping that too but I just couldn't do it, since I didn't use it yesterday. I spent about 30 minutes doing various exercises. My iFit stats for today are 2.8 miles, 66.5 minutes and 382 calories. Add the snow shoveling and the Total Gym and I had an amazing fitness day ! My FitBit recorded over 11,300 steps.

One thing that surprised me today was I didn't feel any after effects from wearing heels last night. In the past I'd have cringed when my feet hit the floor after a lot of walking or wearing dress shoes. Today I had no foot pain and no back pain. I felt just as good when I got up today as I did when I got up yesterday. I had a late night so I was tired, but that was expected.

I'm glad tomorrow is another work at home day as we still have a winter storm warning and could see 8-15 inches of snow ! I'll be able to sleep tonight instead of worrying about driving to work ! On that note, time for a shower and my warm comfy bed. This girl is tired !




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello 2019 !

Day 351: Pause and Reflect

Day 413: Trying To Be Better