Day 224: Focus
“Don’t try to get everybody’s approval. Just focus on becoming a
better person. To think that everyone is going to like you in a world where
many people don’t even like themselves, will exhaust you more than it will
enhance your life.”
I think most of
us seek the approval of others but I also think we sometimes put too much
emphasis on what others think. That can be a slippery slope, because you end up
doing everything to please others and neglect your own needs. I know this from
many years of personal experience. I’m reaching a point now where it matters
more how I feel about myself. Although I value the opinions of others I don’t
base my decisions on them. It’s really about striking a balance and making the
choice that is right for you. Some people may leave your life over that but I
guess it’s their issue. If I’m happy and healthy and my choices aren’t
harming anyone (including myself) then you have to respect and accept that.
That doesn’t mean you approve of it. It’s really not easy to draw the line between
acceptance and approval. We all like to think we know everything and that our
way is the best way. We also like to offer advice based on our own personal experiences. We don't want someone to make the same mistakes we did. The problem is offering advice when no one has asked for it, as well meaning as it may be. I know for me,
many people tried to tell me I was making the wrong choices a few years back. I
chose not to listen and I have to live with the consequences. Despite that, if
I’m tempted to offer up my 2 cents now I just keep it to myself unless someone
comes right out and asks me what I think they should do. I am in no position to
judge. The other problem with looking for approval is how it feels when you don't get it. I can tell you it hurts, so why put yourself through that ? So I'm just trying to become a better person. Some people will like me, some may not, and I'm okay with that. I see the difference now with people I've known for many years who say absolutely nothing about my weight loss. I'm not losing weight to impress anyone nor am I soliciting praise but when someone you've known for many years has lost 86 pounds and you don't even acknowledge it, that tells me a lot about you. So I'm focused on my "village" ... the people who have supported me throughout this journey. From family, to colleagues, to friends, to acquaintances .. your support means the world and has been incredibly helpful. YOU enhance my life !
Breakfast was a
2.1 ounce 160 calorie cherry cheese roll with butter toffee coffee. Second cup
was cinnamon roll. Morning snack was a 155 calorie vanilla shake with peanut
butter powder. Lunch was a 4 ounce 230 calorie meatball parmesan melt with raw
carrots. Afternoon snack was a 5.3 ounce 80 calorie toasted coconut vanilla
yogurt and a 0.65 ounce 100 calorie bag of Skinny Pop popcorn. This left 475
calories for dinner and an evening snack. Dinner was a 7.5 ounce 220 calorie chicken fettuccine alfredo with a big bowl of broccoli. Evening snack was a 1.8 ounce 150 calorie chocolate cupcake. Total calories for the day are 1095 and I got 64 ounces of water in.
Last night I
took note of another “NSV” or Non-Scale Victory. I realized I no longer need to
“scooch over” to secure the seat belt in my car. Who knows how long I’ve continued to do that without needing to ! In addition to adjusting to eating differently,
I’m adjusting to a new body ! Next year, God willing, I’m planning on visiting
Disneyworld with my niece and I’ll be able to fly without the self-inflicted
shame of requesting a seat belt extender. I also won’t worry about fitting in
an airline seat or navigating the narrow aisles. I won’t see those people with
the “please don’t sit here” look on their face either.
Today was a
picture perfect summer day. Blue skies and sunshine and temps in the low 80’s.
We had a chilly start – it was 52 when I left Mexico this morning ! A thunderstorm moved in just before 8 pm as I was finishing my workout. I was kind of glad to be done and have the treadmill turned off as the worst of the storm moved through. I had to venture into my creepy basement because the sump pump was stuck in the "on" mode. First time that has happened, but at least I was able to fix it !
The storm has passed and all is quiet so it's time for a shower and bed. I am tired and very glad tomorrow is Friday !
The storm has passed and all is quiet so it's time for a shower and bed. I am tired and very glad tomorrow is Friday !

Comments
Post a Comment