Day 213: The Morning After
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." ~Marcus Aurelius~
The Roman Emperor and philosopher knew what he was talking about. Like most people, I have days where I'm not feeling my best. Yesterday was one of them. I let a disappointing weigh in pretty much derail my entire day. Today was a new day and I woke focused on what I would accomplish today. Yesterday is in the past and I can't change it. I got up around 8 am, made my bed, fed the cats, brewed a cup of coffee, heated a pastry in the microwave and put a load of laundry in the washer. Then I put on my exercise gear and sat down to enjoy that pastry and my coffee and decided I would be on the treadmill by 9:30 am. Then I read the news. Another mass shooting, this time in Dayton, Ohio. It may sound awful but I was glad to hear the shooter met the same fate as his victims, since he was clearly prepared to do a lot more damage. Politicians will work day and night to lay blame and spin these stories to their political advantage, but in the end there is no easy answer to what ails some people. It's not a Republican problem. It's not a Democrat problem. It's not The Left. It's not The Right. It's not the gun lobby. It's a problem, plain and simple. Hate crimes are not new. Deranged killers are not new. The availability of weapons is not new, The "blame" lies solely with the individual who pulls the trigger. That's my opinion and I won't debate it. Some days I think I should obtain a concealed carry permit, purchase my own weapon and learn how to use it ... but I don't think I want that responsibility. Would things change if we were all armed ? There are no easy answers. I decided I couldn't let this latest tragedy derail my day, as much as it weighed heavy on my heart. I have the privilege of living and breathing and I need to make the most of every day I have left on this earth. I wasted too many years that I'll never be able to get back. So I put in another load of laundry, moved my treadmill time to 10 am, brewed a second cup of coffee and sat down to enjoy it.
Breakfast was a 2.1 ounce 160 calorie cherry cheese roll with caramel vanilla cream coffee. Second cup was cinnamon roll. Morning snack was a 155 calorie chocolate shake with peanut butter powder. Lunch, afternoon snack and dinner consisted of that roast turkey dinner at Point Place Casino. Evening snack was a 3.5 ounce 130 calorie ice cream sandwich. My Nutrisystem calories for the day are 445, which left 755. I think my dinner was well within that range. An ice cream scoop size portion of mashed potatoes with gravy, a few thin slices of turkey and about 1/2 cup of sweet corn. I did a little Google research - 1/2 cup of mashed pototoes is 107 calories. 1/2 cup of sweet corn is 66 calories. 6 ounces of turkey is 177. 1/2 cup of gravy is about 60 calories. That's only 410, so even if my estimates are low I'm not over the 755 calories that I had available. So I'm happy about that ! I got 64 ounces of water in today too.
The day started off dreary and cloudy but the sun popped out around 9:30 .. perhaps a reminder that the treadmill was waiting ! I did get that morning workout in and was done before 11 am. After a quick shower I headed out to get my oil changed. A few other people did too so I had to wait for a little bit. I didn't mind, I enjoyed soaking up the sun while I waited and there was a nice breeze. Mom and I spent a couple hours at the casino, she picked up her free gift and we had dinner. I was home by 7 so I had plenty of time to get a 2nd workout in when I came home. All in all I had a pretty good weekend and today was the kind of day I want to have every day. Every minute that I spend with my mom is a gift so it was nice to spend time with her both days.
I am pleasantly tired tonight so it's about time for another shower and then I'm sinking into my cozy bed.

Comments
Post a Comment